Sunday, November 16, 2008

Tones and Textures

The music blog continues at http://musicbymusicians.blogspot.com.
This week: musical tones and textures. Some artists use them really well and others don't. Sometimes they make all the difference. There are so many artists I could write about, but I need to keep this readable. Plus I have about 40 pages worth of university papers to write by the end of the week, so I really need to get off this and onto that.
In short, I'd say some genres rely on a wider variety or usage of tones than others, but in almost any genre, one can be a really good musician but simply fail to stand out because one does not exhibit sufficient stylistic uniqueness. Here are a few music groups of varying musical genres and a little commentary on what I think makes them stand out.

Thrice
Post-hardcore band Thrice's second most recent album Vheissu was an accomplishment and fans were deeply impressed. However, Thrice has outdone themselves once again with the completion of this year's two-part, four-disc release The Alchemy Index. Each disc features six songs representing one of the four classical elements: Fire, Water, Air, and Earth. The styles and textures of each disc reflect each element beautifully. "Firebreather" begins the album with harsh overdriven guitars comparable to the heavier tracks on Vheissu before plunging into Disc II: Water - which uses more electronic elelments to create a shimmering pool of fluid, rippling sound - but not lacking any of the depth and vigour of Disc I thanks to songs like the forceful instrumental "Night Diving". Disc III begins with a noticeably lighter tone to it, chiming harmonies played possibly indicative of wind chimes, then launches into a clouded and grainy texture which reminds me of pollution. Clever? I think so. Correct? I'd have to ask the band. Finally, Disc IV: Earth, which remains my favourite for its humble, worshipful lyrics and natural, acoustic vibe. Again, I'll make another allegorical stretch - but I would say it reflects the earth acknowledging its Creator.

Dave Matthews Band & Tim Reynolds
If you haven't heard of Dave Matthews Band, they have a really interesting story. I saw them play at the Gorge in Washington State this summer and it was the most amazing auditory/visual spectacle I have ever witnessed, bumping Mute Math's energetic performance at the Vancouver Commodore Ballroom into second place.
Listen to the bass, listen to the strings, listen to the brass, listen to the incredible drummer Carter Beauford whose philosophy seems to be an understanding of the drums as another instrument rather than just percussion. Also listen to how Dave Matthews uses his voice, and of course to the techniques and tones accompanyist Tim Reynolds employs.
Don't Drink The Water (Dave Matthews Band)
What You Are (Dave Matthews Band)
Seek Up (Dave Matthews Band)
You Are My Sanity (Tim Reynolds)
Betrayal (Tim Reynolds)

Victor Wooten
Victor plays bass in Bela Fleck & The Flecktones and he is considered the premier bassist of our time. Ah, you know what...just watch this video. By the end of it, you should be impressed. If not, you lose. Need I say much more, except to check out many other videos - especially this one of he and his brother Reggie having a guitar battle.

My Brightest Diamond
Shara Worden, who fronts My Brightest Diamond, is the daughter of a musician and has a degree in opera. She began her musical career at age 3 with her first song and kind of blossomed from there. She has been inspired by artists like Nina Simone and Rebecca Moore. While playing with her band Awry, she met Sufjan Stevens and became one of the Illinoisemakers. After the breakup of Awry, Shara brought together a group of musicians using instruments as various as wine glasses and wind chimes and My Brightest Diamond was formed.
I'm going to write about a single song, "Inside A Boy", and I'm going to begin my saying I wish I could listen to it on really, really good speakers so I could fully indulge in the slithering basslines and driving guitar beneath Shara Worden's soaring, gliding vocals. It really is exquisite, and you can find it on Stereogum in the mp3 section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Total Pageviews